Tuesday, December 11, 2007

our bodies are about 2/3 water, the earth is 70% covered with water, and we made fire

The truth was that on Memorial Hill, I wanted nothing more than to burst into flames. It occurred to me briefly that if I let the cigarette flame reach my mouth it might trigger the spontaneous combustion I had been begging for. But I was completely aware that in that dense of a fog, the chances of me bursting into flames were about as likely as the chances that God would answer me as I extended my hands upward and demanded, “Give it back.”

Give what back? I don’t really know. Plenty of things are gone that I want back, but it was a pitiful excuse for a supplication because I didn’t even know which I was referring to.

I paused and waited. What was I expecting? Nothing really, maybe something along the lines of divine revelation or a shooting star. I just knew that that night I needed something to keep my legs from freezing to the ground. I needed to feel connected to something. Ironically, I was going about this by avoiding all human contact for a few minutes, but it was ephemeral I knew it. I’m never alone here. We’re never alone anywhere.

I was considering walking through the fog and into the forest when I saw the headlights announce the presence of another soul at the bottom of that steep hill. I had blissfully enjoyed the fact that for a few seconds it was just me, my cigarette and my smoke on that hill. It was quiet, the kind of quiet you fall in love with. It reminded me of my philosophy professor, who midway through the journey of his life decided he needed to retreat into the woods. Complete silence and utter solitude, and he made it sound like the most normal thing to do. Frankly, I’ll admit the thought was seductive, but I lacked the fortitude to go about it alone.

While lost in those thoughts, I realized my visibility was being greatly reduced. I could no longer see into the woods, and I couldn’t see how steep that hill is. It was no longer the same hill I had walked to moments before. I was overcome with a deep appreciation for water in all its forms. This is somewhat ironic because of my morbid (and irrational fear) of the dark blue spots on maps, but at one in the morning… I loved the fog that added an air of mystery to my hill, I loved the ice that could cause me to break my neck, I loved the snow that just one week ago inspired excited running about, god… I even loved the tears that were forming in my eyes.

And that was the truth I came to. The water was simply existing, constantly changing, and patiently reminding me that I have to change too. I was burning inside, I was a smoldering pile of ashes on that hill and the water was caressing my face, murmuring the promise that when it was time for me to burst into flames, it would be there. Then it happened that for a few seconds I forgot about the boundary that divides my insides from the ground, my thoughts from the fog, my life from the earth.

Suddenly, I heard someone behind me talking on their cell phone, and I knew it was time to go. I finished my cigarette and looked up into the sky again. “That’s enough,” I whispered.

And it was.

No comments: